Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever considered a vasectomy for your pet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever considered a vasectomy for your pet?

This is something I have thought about for a while: the idea of getting my pitty a vasectomy so he could still have sexual enjoyment as well as his hormones and a bit more trust/freedom without the worry of getting a female dog pregnant. This isn't really something I've planned on doing, it's just an idea I've tossed around in my head as an option for his further enjoyment and freedom of being with his own kind. I haven't done much research into the content of dog sperm but if it is anything much like humans, the sperm cells themselves would only make for ruffly 5% of the total content of their ejaculation. It's a more rare procedure to have done, wouldn't really hurt him or change his chemistry in any way aside from his production of sperm, and could give him the ability to knot as many bitches as he was able to without the concern of a litter.

I am personally more of the opinion of as little medical intervention or "control" over my partners bodies as I need to, but just figured I'd toss this out there as a topic of discussion to see other peoples' take on it. He's otherwise "all natural" at this point aside from some anti anxiety meds due to past trauma and his heartworm meds and standard vaccinations.
    Last edited by btwiamazoophile; 03-28-2019, 10:12 PM.
    Do yourself a favor and have some substance.

It's something I've considered. I don't know if you are aware of Parsemus, one of their projects is researching alternative reproduction management (https://www.parsemus.org/veterinarian-list/)

Comment

This is a rather interesting topic!

When I was working in vet clinics I'd never assisted with a vasectomy. I'd heard it could be done on dogs, of course, but it usually falls to the wayside of neutering. I think the first question you need to ask is in how close proximity/frequency is your boy to a bitch? Has it been a problem in the past? Is he off leash often and you worry he might wander off in search of some girl in heat? If you say no to all of these, the vasectomy might be pointless.

I think also something to consider would be what the roll cum has in a dog's sexual agenda/identity and if, perhaps, there's some sensory mechanism which evades our human senses but impacts the sexual process for the dog (or dogs it interacts with). We know dogs have very strong noses, and so their own fluids are bound to be perceived by scent, at least.

A final note should be taken about the role of sex to a dog. I wonder if his infertility would cause frustration eventually, if he mated with a bitch but never produced litters?

This is all theoretical, at best, but I'd be curious to hear what other people have to say about the topic!

Comment

Originally posted by Levo View Post
        This is a rather interesting topic!

When I was working in vet clinics I'd never assisted with a vasectomy. I'd heard it could be done on dogs, of course, but it usually falls to the wayside of neutering. I think the first question you need to ask is in how close proximity/frequency is your boy to a bitch? Has it been a problem in the past? Is he off leash often and you worry he might wander off in search of some girl in heat? If you say no to all of these, the vasectomy might be pointless.
        True, but it's also a consideration that I am sure I would not be the only one who would like to see their dog experience breeding without the worry of producing a litter so that's something that may be able to increase in frequency after the procedure is done, especially(and this is something that I don't have any information on due to far less active interest in female dogs vs male dogs) if it could increase sexual receptiveness in females.

A final note should be taken about the role of sex to a dog. I wonder if his infertility would cause frustration eventually, if he mated with a bitch but never produced litters?
        As far as we know scientifically, and this also aligns with experience in breeding practices such as renting out stud dogs, dogs don't really seem to have the forethought to associate mating with having a litter down the road. While yes, it is true dogs can detect and respond to pregnancy in later stages due to different hormone production in female dogs, the main component of dogs initiating sexual contact is because of the pheromones which "get them randy" and the physical stimulation of their nerves in both males and females. It is true that dogs, within their social structure don't have any specific use for sex aside from developing offspring as far as we know, but this does not mean that the forethought of having a litter is there. It just simply is something that they due do to their biology and psychology(in terms of relieving horniness when pheromones trigger them) that doesn't really play a role socially within their social structure like it does for humans and some other animals, where sex is utilized in a social manner to form deeper frienships/relationships and is used as a tool or "bargaining chip" for other things. I think otherwise dogs would probably express the same feelings after multiple instances of sexual contact with humans but this is not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by btwiamazoophile View Post
          True, but it's also a consideration that I am sure I would not be the only one who would like to see their dog experience breeding without the worry of producing a litter
          This is rarely a sentiment outside of the zoo community. Often, sex is considered icky and taboo to the average dog owner, which reflects in their fervent 'curbing' of the sexual urges that their dog displays. I would have to wonder if this would be something that could contribute to zoo-identification, such as the Zeta symbol, and paint a target on the owner's back.

In these cases you would have to ask yourself how giving a dog a vasectomy, and not straight up neutering, would be perceived by your peers/neighbors. Would they think it strange that your dog can still get it up, but clearly, his bits will not be used in breeding? Then again, the operation would be mostly incognito on the body, and the testicles would still be intact, so it could be glossed over by the casual by-passer.

As far as we know scientifically, and this also aligns with experience in breeding practices such as renting out stud dogs, dogs don't really seem to have the forethought to associate mating with having a litter down the road.
          I would argue that we don't yet know the inner workings of a dog in matter such as that. Up to more or less recently we hardly knew they had base emotions akin to humans! I think this field of scientific study has a lot of promise, but I would not assume that science has proved or disproved this point.

It is true that dogs, within their social structure don't have any specific use for sex aside from developing offspring as far as we know,
          You omit recreational sex! I don't think dogs reproduce purely for producing litters. Since we're talking science, THIS is a topic to broach. In fact, many studies lately have provided example of animal populations in the wild having 'practice sex' or even finding breeding partner in males. I know last year I read a fascinating paper on homosexuality in animals.

doesn't really play a role socially within their social structure
          But it does! Breeding pairs are the big cheeses of packs of wolves! It's why the pack always vies to breed the bitch!

where sex is utilized in a social manner to form deeper friendships/relationships and is used as a tool or "bargaining chip" for other things.
          Yes, to my knowledge, this statement is correct... but as I mentioned earlier, the study of this kind of stuff is a hot topic these days~

ANYWAYS, just my two cents. Thank you for replying!

~Levo

Comment

This is rarely a sentiment outside of the zoo community. Often, sex is considered icky and taboo to the average dog owner, which reflects in their fervent 'curbing' of the sexual urges that their dog displays. I would have to wonder if this would be something that could contribute to zoo-identification, such as the Zeta symbol, and paint a target on the owner's back.
            Well yeah lol, that's why I posted this in a zoo board and not the local facebook dog owners group 😜

In these cases you would have to ask yourself how giving a dog a vasectomy, and not straight up neutering, would be perceived by your peers/neighbors. Would they think it strange that your dog can still get it up, but clearly, his bits will not be used in breeding? Then again, the operation would be mostly incognito on the body, and the testicles would still be intact, so it could be glossed over by the casual by-passer.
            I guess this part is more dependent on the assumption that I would let people know he was. Like you said, it would be a pretty invisible operation. That being said, I think in my case even if it did I would have reason, as my dog suffers from trauma-based fear aggression and I feel that causing a significant chemical imbalance has the worry to have him rapidly regress from how far he's come. There are a lot of studies and experiences from people whose dogs changed very negatively when their dogs were spayed or neutered so I would be able to cite those. In fact, this is the reason I gave to my vet when I declined to have him neutered which he agreed is a reasonable decision.
            I would argue that we don't yet know the inner workings of a dog in matter such as that. Up to more or less recently we hardly knew they had base emotions akin to humans! I think this field of scientific study has a lot of promise, but I would not assume that science has proved or disproved this point.
            I definitely agree with this and think dogs are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. It is hard to devise ways to prove things scientifically despite us having for generations had obvious knowledge of dogs having things like emotions. This is why I referenced my experience with breeders/stud dogs as well because I have not heard of any such thing and, the few I know at least, are pretty in tune with their animals.

You omit recreational sex! I don't think dogs reproduce purely for producing litters. Since we're talking science, THIS is a topic to broach. In fact, many studies lately have provided example of animal populations in the wild having 'practice sex' or even finding breeding partner in males. I know last year I read a fascinating paper on homosexuality in animals.
            This is interesting about the male breeding pairs and I'd love to give a read through any resources you might have as although I haven't been looking much lately, I am always interested in scientific discoveries we make about canids and how they may relate to mans best friend. I wasn't meaning to say that sexual contact out of procreation doesn't exist, as most people including non-zoos know that male dogs especially have the tendency to masturbate when intact. I just have not heard of it in such a way that it influenced dogs socially.
            But it does! Breeding pairs are the big cheeses of packs of wolves! It's why the pack always vies to breed the bitch!
            This is very true, but I was more referencing towards domestic animals since they(especially dogs) have had a lot of their social structure altered to a degree given their long running integration with humans and human life.

But yeah, please link those articles if you still have them. They would probably be a great contribution to the blogs or articles page as well!

Comment

There are several papers which link various cancers, among other complications, to neutering. I believe there are a few papers on behavioral issues as well, also associated with spay/neuter.

Comment

Dogs are NOT Wolves. Wolves are specifically pack animals, with pack social structures. Dogs are a different species, with different social structures.
                Sex IS a form of birth control! While not always effective, it's quite fun to administer.

Comment

I have often considered this myself. As well as tube tying or plugs for Bitches. Both provide the desired function of stopping pregnancy, are reversible, and they don't change them into a different animal.

I loved my mate and her boys for who they were. Cutting off parts of them that effect brain chemistry would change them fundamentally. Might as well just get rid of them and get another animal if you insist on changing them so radically.

Also, letting a male stretch out a tight female naturally is quite a useful thing. It could even be the difference between a Bitch that one would never fit in to one that you have a chance with.
                  Sex IS a form of birth control! While not always effective, it's quite fun to administer.

Comment

Originally posted by TundraFoxie View Post

Dogs are NOT Wolves. Wolves are specifically pack animals, with pack social structures. Dogs are a different species, with different social structures.
                    I'd disagree. Wolves are the evolutionary origins of dogs. The wolf language, society, hierarchy, ect., is like Latin, while the dog language is common English! Dogs have a ton of similarities!

Comment

I'd disagree. Wolves are the evolutionary origins of dogs. The wolf language, society, hierarchy, ect., is like Latin, while the dog language is common English! Dogs have a ton of similarities!
                      And the research says otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X