Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden Dangers for dogs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Garden Dangers for dogs

    Took this from another forum to share here. I figure its very helpful info to have as its all right here!
    From Bardolph

    20 Plants That Could Kill Your Dog

    1. Lilies3. Oleanders 4. Sago palms5. Castor beans

    Yet another southern plant that is used as a common ornament, the Castor Beans plant has parts that are rich in ricin. This is a very toxic substance that can cause allergic reactions, abdominal pain, vomiting and Diarrhea. The leaves of this plant are shaped like a star, kind of like the Canadian flag but with more fingers so you should be able to spot this one right away.

    6. Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium L.)

    This is a dangerous type of weed and all its parts are toxic. It was originally used for medical and intoxication purposes however it was later discovered that the negative side effects far outweigh the benefits. If ingested in large amounts poisoning will ensue and symptoms like diarrhea, depression, convulsions, coma and even death can result. This weed is also a hallucinogenic.

    If you ever see this weed in your garden, make sure to pull them out and check the surrounding grounds for sprouts and seeds to prevent re-growth.

    . English Ivy (Hedera helix L.) 8. Hemlock, Water (Cicuta maculata L.)

    This is well known in North America to be a very toxic plant. They contain a toxin called cicutoxin that can over-stimulate the nervous system and ingestion will normally result in seizures. These are easy to spot because of the umbrella type shape that their flower clusters have. These are very dangerous not only to pets but also to humans so both of you better keep away.


    9. Nightshade (Solanum spp.)10. Yew, English (Taxus baccata) and Japanese (Taxus cuspidata Sieb. & Zucc.)11. Poinsettias

    Very cute plant with a very popular colour for toxic flowers, the Poinsettias is easy to find because of its stand out leaves. Thankfully though despite its deceptive colour the toxins in this plant are quite mild and it will take a lot to seriously harm our furry friends. If your dog does eat some though, make sure you have it checked by a Vet to be safe although treatment is usually not necessary

    12. Rhododendron (Rhododendron spp)13. Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)4. Lily of the Valley (Convalaria majalis)

    This is a common plant in Asia and Europe although there are some areas in Eastern USA that have these plants as well. All parts of the plant are poisonous. They contain multiple toxins that can cause vomiting, ataxia and even death. So stay away from these and keep your dog away from the berries that grow/drop from these as well.



    15. Cyclamen

    This is a very beautiful ornamental plant but ingestion can cause vomiting, inflammation and even death if taken in large quantities. These plants are commonly found in Europe and the Mediterranean and the poisonous part of this plant is luckily buried underground. Dogs are however very fond of digging things up so if you have these in your garden, you need to make sure that your pet stays away.



    16. Precatory Bean

    This plant is highly toxic and should be avoided. Its most dangerous part is its seed since these are the ones that can most likely harm out pets and children as well. A child can die from swallowing a seed so if a dog chewed or swallowed one vomiting (with blood in sever cases), diarrhea, stomach cramps and even death could follow.

    17. Black, Mountain or Sierra Laurel

    Its botanical name is Leucothoe davisiae and it is commonly found along lakes and meadows. It is highly toxic to pets like cats and dogs nd can even harm horses. Its main toxic substance is Grayanotoxins and symptoms of ingestion are diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, hyper salivation and coma. If a pet ingests the plant it needs to be purged and provided with good quality food and water.

    18. Karaka Berries

    These are usually found in lowland forests and in coastal ones. They bear fruits that have an extremely toxic seed. These fruits can fall of the plant and curious as dogs are, they could chew and swallow one of these. In fact a dog died from eating one of these at Aukland Park so you better make sure you keep yours away. Seeds are usually orange or yellowish in colour so make sure that you look out for them.

    19. Avocado (Persea americana)

    Avocado is a very common fruit bearing tree in the tropical areas of the world. The fruit itself is delicious and is highly valued commercially but the leaves, bark and skin of the avocado are dangerous to animals and can even result in death if ingested in large amounts. Symptoms of ingestion are vomiting, diarrhea, congestion and even death. So the next time you eat an avocado, make sure you dispose of the skin properly.

    20. Potato Plant

    Spuds may be great at dinner time but make sure you keep fido well away. The foliage and green tubers of the potato plant contain glycoalkaloid solanine. This chemical can cause intense digestive issues for both humans and dogs but only dogs are stupid enough to eat them. In higher enough doses the chemical inside a potato plant can actually kill!



    from one dog lover to another
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

    #2
    angel trumpets - Brugmansia Arborea - and devils trumpets - Datura metel -
    give me your dirty love - like some tacky little pamphlet in your daddy's bottom drawer

    Comment


      #3
      Brunfelsia pauciflora

      What we call in Australia a yesterday, today, tomorrow shrub.
      Flowers that change colour from purple, mauve and white.
      Causes seizures and an altered mind state in dogs. Our usually friendly dog became aggressive.

      Comment


        #4
        this one should go without saying, but a "cocoa mulch" sold at Target entered my feed today on Facebook. not sure how any dog owner wouldn't know that "cocoa" is chocolate and thus deadly to dogs, but apparently there was some consternation that there was no warning label on the packaging, and a woman's golden died after ingesting it. so yeah, not just plants. check the ingredients for mulches and other additives, too.

        Comment

        Working...
        X