This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K9 Identification & Traits - A Guide to Informed Decisions

Wasn't too sure on bringing this one in, but I think it can be a helpful resource for everyone if they're considering getting a dog and wanting to get information.
    Source: southflorida of BF

Considering a K9? This will be one of the biggest steps -AND RESPONSIBILITIES -you will EVER make!@#!

This thread is created to help you make an informed decision -here's how it works:

The thread is reliant on experienced members contributing -each post on the thread will feature a different breed. The only requirements are that you add a full body photograph of the breed you are discussing and any known info and experience you have with the breed -here are some things you may want to include in your post:

*breed group (toy, working, etc.)

*known types and colors (english, chocolate, etc.)

*origin of breed

*size expectations of breed

*cost expectations (how much should one expect to pay to purchase)

*history of any known health concerns

*life expectancy

*grooming, care, diet, exercise and special requirements

*trainability

*temperament and known breed traits

*any insights to sexual experience that may seem particularly noteworthy

*sex of the animal in which you have had experience with

There are hundreds of breeds to cover - PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH YOUR FAVORITE BREED WITH THE REST OF US!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

Anyone here have any experience with either Golden Retriever or a White Swiss Shepherd would love some insight on their sexual behaviour and the Shepherds general temperament. Male or Female

Comment

• Bonzo's Bitch
      Bonzo's Bitch commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a retriever & he's beyond amazing! Our first year was quite hit and miss and his mounts were very quick, but lots of them lol. He has his moods for things the same as i do so sometimes he's very gentle and almost loving, sometimes he's in rapist mode. The first few months of us knotting he wasn't exactly sure about it all I don't think because afterwards he'd be super clingy around me for a few hours but not in a sexual way, it was more of a guilty way as if he'd hurt me or something. Once he got to understand and i started to instigate things he was rampant and has been ever since. He has a very high sex drive, he has his wants and moods and he even has a few fetishes lol x

Any owners out there want to add to this topic?

Comment

I’d like to hear experiences of Newfoundland owners

Comment

• daedelus
        daedelus commented
        Editing a comment
        Not Newfies exactly, but we bred St. Bernards back in the early 70's in Florida. Wonderful animals as far as temperament, size and general health, though our vet at the time was adamant that we not let them run or play for an hour after eating to help prevent gastro-intestinal torsion(stomach flip-flop) Interestingly, when I bought my bull mastiff, the breeder in Ozona and an entirely different vet back home, warned me of the same thing. Maybe it's a large barrel chested dog thing or maybe an old wives tale.
        When put with a bitch in season, the Bernard stud could be very determined in corralling her till he could mount and penetrate. Once engaged, he wasted zero time burying and knotting her. Thrusting rarely lasted more than thirty seconds beyond knotting but he was generally good about standing quietly till the knot subsided before withdrawing/walking away. (10-20 min.)
        When walking through a house/apt., their tails and lumbering gait can be weapons of mass destruction and in Florida between March through November, their jowls are nothing short of slimy shoestring factories.
        In hindsight, I think it was a poor breed choice for the heat and super humid area we live in and wouldn't do so again. Only our access to lots of cool rivers and lakes made it bearable for them.
        I have five older sisters and looking back on the times I noticed some of them whispering to each other during a mating, I think it's a frigging miracle none of them ended up getting serviced by him themselves. At least I assume they didn't. I never noticed anyone walking around spraddle legged and with his equipment, something probably would have gotten sprung out of sorts...

• Bonzo's Bitch
        Bonzo's Bitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been with a st bernard once and i can definitely echo the comments from daedalus in that he literally sank into me and knotted almost immediately, completely ignored me impailed underneath him and then once he was done he just wandered to his water bowl and then went to sleep lol

I want to learn about border collie!

Comment

• cowman02
        cowman02 commented
        Editing a comment
        Smart! Energetic, trainable but NEED training. Have to be doing something, even if it is wrong. Moderate size male tool, bitches may be too small. marvelous silky tongue and can be taught to use it, but my male is a nibbler/biter so have to be carefu (ouch) and us men are not suppose to spotl!!. Would not recommend for city apartment!! Really need a yard and may be protective and intolerant of children and smaller pets. !5 year is about max life span, usually shorter.

Oh good, this is just what I was looking for. No one seems to be replying to anyone though....
      Any personal experiences and information on any breed at all would interest me.
      However, if I must be specific; akitas are gorgeous Any details on them would be much appreciated!

Comment

I’m a fan of Rottweilers myself. Strong, stable, well hung & calm temperament. Pits are fun but they’re a lot more energetic and while well hung, in my very limited experience they get off quickly and don’t stay knotted for long. Rottweilers will turn, tie and hang in there for quite a bit of time. Naturally, your mileage may vary, lol, but that’s my take. I’d really like to try a lab (hint hint) if someone would be willing to host a discreet, experienced zoo who understands the idea of supporting owners.
        Some people are animal lovers, I like dogs that are man-lovers lol

Comment

I'm interested as well in what K9 breeds are best suited for characteristics of more easily trained, placid demeanor, shorter hair, people friendly? Thanking you in advance.

Comment

Allergies to dog hair...
            If you have a reaction to dog hair, is it possible that will occur with most breeds?

Comment

• Don Quidong
              Don Quidong commented
              Editing a comment
              Most, yes, but you're going to want to look at hypoallergenic breeds, as there are several of those as well that shouldn't cause any reactions.

• B2bloodwolf
              B2bloodwolf commented
              Editing a comment
              Hair and fur are not the same. Dander is what most people are allergic too. Dogs with hair will have less of an allergy response from people that have them. It’s why my grandmother keeps collies.

I would advise all of you wondering about general dog info to check the AKC's breed standards and breed descriptions, and the TV show Dogs 101 is also a good resource. They won't have anything useful for zoo-related concerns, but a dog is a lot of responsibility in the first place so do your research. Also, while I'm here, buy from responsible breeders! Never pet stores! I could probably find a post about how to identify a good breeder if anyone wants that

Comment

Let’s not forget mongrels too , there’s a lot to be said for a mixture

Comment

New kid on the block here. Still haven't had my 1st experience. Looking to get a K9 and researching some breeds. Anyone have any experiences with American Bulldogs?

Comment

I'm looking to buy me my first K9 bitch... Any experienced wanna give any suggestions? I'm thinking about great dane, mastiff, husky... which one is better? any new breeds are welcome as well

Comment

• egoldstein
                    egoldstein commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've had danes and they're fantastic dogs, but they can be short lived. People talk about them being lazy loafs, but that is not my experience. Mine are very active, swimming, frisbee/fetch, lots of running.....and that's the senior at over 10.
                    I'm very partial to shorthair dogs, a lot less hair in general with the reduced maintenance over a long hair. A quick wipe with a washcloth cleans the dane, whereas the saint bernard not so much. Finding ticks is easier if you happen to spend much time in the woods. It's easy to drag hair in when you're having sex too if you aren't careful, which I feel makes bladder infections a bigger concern too, but I am admittedly biased.

To me, the most important question is what do you want in a dog? That should drive your choices more than anything else. I would recommend considering sex as a tertiary concern, while it's an important item, you will (should!!) spend far more time with the dog doing many other things, so make all those other activities the primary criteria if you want a happy and healthy relationship.
                    Last edited by egoldstein; 06-22-2019, 11:58 PM.

• Brownboi
                    Brownboi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the info. Well, so far I don't know anything about dogs and yeah of course my primary curiosity is sex but I don't wanna hurt them if the breed is too small as I'm packin 8" here... Also, what other things would you suggest me doing with them? You should know I'm a K9 virgin so far...

I love hound breeds especially Blueticks . But you have to get them young to socialize them to any other pets you have. They can be pretty stubborn and hard headed but once you teach them something they'll remember it.

Comment

Can we cover mixed breeds in this? I could share my experience with a GSD x Australian shep mix, I know she had a lot of traits from both breeds.

Also my dream dog is either a bluetick or something that can hold its own against my partner's stubborn pit bull mix lol.
                    Oregon trans guy near the capitol. Looking for friends and flings. Bi and zoo bi.

Comment

• dogluver101
                      dogluver101 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's fine.
                  Working...
                  X