Night mode?

Traziun

Tourist
Maybe I am a scrub that can't find the setting, but having night mode would be great. I can't be the only one browsing here in darkly lit rooms late nights?

How do you set it up? And if there isn't a setting, could you pretty please add it?

Austral

Tourist
There's an extension called Dark Reader that enables dark mode on any website you want. Highly recommended.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/darkreader/
Yeah, I use that extension always in Firefox and it even looks fine here even in Tor Browser.

Still, a native dark mode would be nice, since in tablets and old/cheap notebooks that extension gets lots of extra resources and becomes pretty slow.

Last edited:

UR20Z

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Yeah, I use that extension and it looks fine even in Tor Browser.

Still, a native dark mode would be nice, since in tablets and old/cheap notebooks that extension gets lots of extra resources and becomes pretty slow.
Can't speak for Tor Browser, since I haven't tried it, but as for the second thought -
What the umop-ap!zdn guy above me said 🙃

Ardzerg

Tourist
Tossing an alternate addon into the mix, I've been using "Dark Background and Light Text" for years and regard it very highly.

Firefox:
Chrome:

radiantknot

ZooVille Philanthropist
I've never liked plugins/extensions that try to emulate dark mode in a cookie cutter way, there's always some elements that don't quite work right, icons designed for light backgrounds look like ass, etc.

As much as I love dark themes, I will always prefer native server over client hacks.

Dog&PonyShow

Tourist
Yeah, I'm definitely onboard with a dark mode instead of using this hacky plugin setup I have. My eyes aren't great, and dark mode is a huge help for me.

Huskeroni

Lurker
I'd love to see a native dark theme for ZooVille, too! Of course, addons work like a charm, but I'd rather not compromise Tor Browser with these.

It seems like XenForo, the forum software ZooVille runs on, allows custom theming, so it should be rather easy to add prefers-color-scheme media queries to the stylesheet for browsers that support them. A profile-based toggle would be the real deal but I don' know how flexible XenForo is in this regard.